Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Kale Chips

I got kale in my weekly local farm delivery this week and was immediately at a loss of what to do with it. I'm challenging myself to try all of the fruit/veggies that come so I get a larger variety of vitamins and so I don't waste any food. My husband and son are both obsessed with chips (and salsa) so I decided to make kale chips. I had a friend make these before and I'll admit I didn't even try one because it seemed gross. I was pleasantly surprised with them and my husband liked them to! My son tried one and didn't spit it out but for full disclosure he didn't go past one. I am not giving up and will continue making them for him but so far he's not a huge fan. I on the other hand really enjoyed them and will eat them when I need something crunchy or salty. My only negative so far is that they smell a little funky. I have them in a ziploc in my pantry and when I open the door I smell them. Luckily they taste way better than the smell.  Here are the step by step instructions that I followed:

1. Wash and dry one bunch of kale.













2. Cut out the large vein in the middle of each large leaf.











3. Chop up the leafs into small chip size pieces and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.


4. Drizzle 1 Tbls of olive oil over the kale.













5. Use your hands and toss the olive oil throughout all of the pieces (they will look shiny) and sprinkle on some sea salt.













6. Bake the kale at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and then toss them around











7. Bake for another 5-10 minutes and keep an eye on them so they get crispy but don't get overly brown











8. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy! They shrink up a lot while they cook so don't be alarmed that it looks like half of what you started with.











I stored them in a ziploc bag with a paper towel inside. So far they have stayed really crispy and I plan to eat some with my lunch today.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment