Saturday, May 24, 2014

Hearty BBQ Chicken Salad

I haven't always been a huge salad fan but have found recently that if done well they can be absolutely delicious! The difficult thing about salads is there are so many hidden calories. You think oh a salad is obviously the healthy choice and then don't realize you have 1000+ calories hidden within the cheese, dressing, nuts, etc. I am always trying to find salads that my husband likes as well because he doesn't count salad as a "real" meal. He ate this with me for lunch this week and absolutely loved it!  Here is how it's done:

1. Cook two pieces of boneless skinless chicken in a non stick pan with a couple teaspoons of olive oil plus salt and pepper.

















2. Once you flip the chicken put a small amount of bbq sauce (organic if possible to avoid high fructose corn syrup.) Flip one more time and add bbq sauce to the other side as well.
















3.Wash, dry and then cut up one head of romaine lettuce.
















4. Open one can of black beans, drain and rinse them in a strainer.
















5. Chop up grape tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado and shred some cheddar cheese (or use feta.) Also slice the chicken breast into bite sized pieces. *you can cut out the cheese all together if you want..it will still taste amazing!*
















6. Place all ingredients (except chicken) on top of the romaine lettuce. Yes it does look delicious..I know. I didn't put the chicken right on top because I was planning to keep leftovers in the fridge and didn't want the warm chicken to melt the cheese or wilt the lettuce. If your chicken is cooled by all means throw it on top!




















7. Place the grilled chicken on top of your portion and enjoy!! I added a tiny amount of ranch (I know it's fatty but it's my one downfall.) Honestly it would be good without dressing (or with salsa) because the avocados are so creamy on their own!
















Enjoy this amazing salad...I have had it three times already this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment