Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I'll have the regular...

For many years I have been a local at my neighborhood Dilworth Coffee. I much prefer a small coffee shop to a big chain.  I used to always change up my order, whether it is a regular coffee, iced chai, non fat vanilla latte or whatever.  I'm a bit of a coffee addict. My son hears the Keurig in the mornings and says "Mommy Coffee!" About 9 months ago I took on a very bad habit of ordering nonfat white mochas. I let the stress of moving, working full time, having a 1 year old, etc. take over and quickly became addicted to the sugary goodness that is a white mocha.  I was literally having them everyday...sometimes twice. It was a terrible habit that I knew I had to break.  About two month ago I went in and the barista started ringing me up for my regular white mocha and I said I think I'll have a plain latte with almond milk. They LITERALLY gasped and said "who are you?!?!"

I told them that I have decided to lower my sugar intake and start taking my eating seriously. Again, my working out has never been a problem, it's the food!  They cautiously said OK sounds good and made my almond milk latte which was amazing by the way. The nutty flavor of the milk gives it a great sweet taste with no added sugar. I occasionally add one stevia in the raw if I want something extra sweet. Give it a try:)

The reason I decided to blog about this this morning is because I was asked by the barista this morning after ordering my iced almond milk latte how my new healthy lifestyle was going. I was caught off guard not thinking she would remember me saying it but I was so thrilled and told her about all the great changes I have been making.  Two lessons learned:

1. Tell people about your new healthy lifestyle and they will help hold you accountable!

2. You don't have to give up your favorite things (regular coffee shop runs for me) but just have a find a way to modify them to make it work!

If I can do this you can do this! Let me know if you need help figuring out how to modify your favorite things to make them work for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment