Monday, June 16, 2014

Homemade Granola

After yesterday's black bean hummus I sent Beck off to watch some cartoons while I experimented with some homemade granola..but don't you worry he comes back at the end in true Beck fashion! I have never made homemade granola  but have been dying to try it. I buy organic granola from Trader Joes regularly to put on my greek yogurt and to eat with milk like cereal and love it. I figured it couldn't be too difficult and I like to control what ingredients are in it. It is hard to find a store bought granola that has exactly what you want. I normally fail and first attempts experimenting in the kitchen but this was seriously amazing! I am so impressed with myself and will be making this exact recipe over and over. I enjoy dried fruit, raisins, etc. but didn't have any in the pantry so I left them out. Here is the recipe and instructions.

2 cups oats (old fashioned or rolled oats)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 dried fruit (optional)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp raw honey
1 tsp vanilla


1. Gather all of your ingredients and preheat oven to 300 degrees.
















2. Mix the oats, coconut, almonds, dried fruit and cinnamon in a bowl and stir.
















3. Mix the coconut oil, butter, honey, maple syrup, and vanilla and wisk together until smooth.




















4. Pour the "sauce" over the dry ingredients and stir until well coated.
















5. Place the mixture on a stone pan or a metal pan lined with foil.




















6. Bake at 300 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through. It smells amazing while cooking!
















The mixture will get golden brown but won't feel totally crispy when you remove it from the oven. Let the granola cool completely and it will crisp up and be delicious! I stored in a Tupperware container to eat all week long. 

Here is where Beck enters....

I had put all of the granola in a container and while I went to get the lid, Beck climbed on the container and started eating the rest of the granola off the pan. He loved it! I quickly snapped some picture and then put him in the bar stool to let him finish it off. This is an adult and kid friend granola...bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment