Sunday, June 15, 2014

Black Bean Hummus

First of all Happy Father's Day to my dad and husband who are both amazing fathers! I am so blessed to have you both in my life.  Since it was Father's Day my husband opted for a nap after church so my son and I had some quality time in the kitchen! I have just recently started to let my son help with the food prep. I obviously can't have him help with stuff on the stove or oven yet but he loves helping. Not to mention I can actually cook without him hanging all over me and pulling out every pot, pan and cooking utensil in the cabinets. Yes it gets messy sometimes but I am loving this time that we spend together!

Sunday is usually my food prep day anyway so we decided to make some homemade granola (on the blog tomorrow) and some homemade black bean hummus. Here is the recipe and instructions:

1 can black beans
1/4 cup tahini
1-2 cloves garlic (yes i used pre-minced garlic)
1/2 lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp water
salt
pepper
cayenne

1. Gather all of the ingredients

















2. Drain and rinse the black beans.



3. Put the black beans, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne in a food processor (I have a Ninja)
















4. Let your kids blend the ingredients together!!




















5. Once the first ingredients are blended well add the olive oil and water and blend until smooth.




















6. Eat immediately with pita chips, veggies, on a sandwich, etc. or store in the fridge for later. This is why I love the Ninja because I can just take the blade out and throw the lid on. The less dishes the better!




















And this is what your kid will do when you take away the blender. He seriously threw a fit...terribly twos have already begun. Yes he has a fake tattoo...he loves them!




















Here is a video of my son Beck helping in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment